Posted on February 26, 2019 under Breast Augmentation, Breast Implants, Breast Lift, Breast Reconstruction, breast reduction, Buttock Augmentation, Mommy Makeover, Plastic Surgery, Reconstructive Breast Surgery, Reconstructive Surgery, Tummy Tuck
The mommy makeover is one of the most popular cosmetic surgery procedures to date, meant to restore the body contours of a woman after pregnancy. It may include a full or mini tummy tuck, breast augmentation, and liposuction, among other procedures, for body contouring.
The recovery period of the mommy makeover starts as soon as the surgery has ended, when you are in the anesthesia recovery period. The nurses in the recovery unit will ensure that you wake up from the anesthesia without any complications and your pain can be controlled easily before you are allowed to go home. Your recovery should take between 1 to 3 weeks depending on how invasive your breast and abdominal surgeries were.
What to Expect at Home
When you go home, you will be prescribed certain medications like pain medication or muscle relaxants. After the procedure, you may expect some pressure or tightness in the abdominal area and breasts during your recovery period. There are several other aftercare instructions that you will get from your surgeon’s office and when you follow these, you will heal well.
Most women are able to return to light activities within 10 days of the surgery, but you should keep away from any vigorous exercises that may raise your heart rate. Here are some other common concerns most women in mommy makeover recovery want to ask:
- When can I shower?
If you have drains from your procedures, you will have to wait for a shower until they are removed. However, feel free to undergo a sponge bath, as long as you keep the treated areas dry.
- How long should I wear the surgical garments?
After your mommy makeover surgery, you will go home in a compression garment or abdominal binder and a surgical bra. This needs to be worn for about 6 weeks and it helps reduce the swelling as well as offer support to your abdomen and lower back. The surgical bra must also be worn for 5 to 7 weeks. Your surgeon will advise you about the time period till when these should be worn depending on your healing.
- When will my sutures be removed?
Your sutures will be removed in 14 days. A self-adhesive mesh is applied on the edges of your skin and this offers temporary alignment. This also helps with recovery from your incisions.
How to Recover Faster from Your Mommy Makeover
Here are some tips to make it the best recovery experience:
- Do not hesitate to get help – get a family member or friend to pick you up from the hospital since you are put under general anesthesia for your surgery and should not drive. They must also stay with you for the first 48 hours so that you can take complete bed rest and allow your body to heal.
- Get enough rest – it is normal to want to take care of the family and your home again. It is important to rest well to allow your body to heal and at least 10 days of complete rest will do wonders for you. Get somebody to help with the pets, kids and chores around the house.
- Take your medication – the medicines prescribed after your mommy makeover are meant to keep infections at bay and keep you comfortable. Take your medications on time as per your prescription.
- Avoid taking blood thinners – even though your surgeon will discuss this with you, it is important to avoid blood thinners like ibuprofen, aspirin and anti-inflammatory drugs. This will help with your healing.
If you are interested in learning more about the mommy makeover procedure, contact our office today to schedule a consultation.